Thursday, June 16, 2011

Vivid 2011

Every Winter the Sydney gets a great festival called Vivid.  The whole idea is for it to be a festival of light and sound and each year they choose a different curator who gets to put their own "stamp" on the festival for the year.

2011 was the 3rd year of the festival, and I've been able to go to it every year so far.  My most favourite thing is the 'light' part of the festival.  Artists from all over the world contribute light installations that are put up around the city that you can go and see for free.
 It's a great way to try and get us Sydneysiders out of our homes in the cold of Winter, especially at this time of year when we've had so much rain.
 Sir Pinkying and I headed to the city to have a look at this years displays.  One of the features of this year was a show called "Firedance" which was basically flames dancing to music.  It was a lot of fun, and was just under the Harbour Bridge.
As you walk around between the various pieces, you have to be sure and look all around because sometimes they are above you!  I really liked this one - gorgeous colours!  I wonder if there is a Kona quilt in there...


The main lighting feature each year is "Lighting the Sails" where the sails of the Opera House are lit with beautiful changing designs.  I was lucky enough to borrow a tripod from a friend which meant much better photos than would have been possible otherwise
Many people don't realise that the Opera House is actually all tiled, and there is actually a very pretty pattern formed by all the tiles, which you can just catch in the photo above.

Sydney is quite a "young" city, so we don't have the same kind of grand buildings as places like London or Paris, but one that we do have is Customs House and this year it featured a great changing display that looked like the building was re-wrapping itself every few seconds, it was just beautiful!
I can't leave you without one last picture of the Opera House in full colour.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like it was absolutely stunning! How I wish I could have seen it in person. On another blog, I saw photos and video (customs house "filling with water"), so I've been thoroughly impressed. You are so fortunate to have such marvelous visuals (also New Years Eve fireworks and displays). Keep enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice pictures Pinky. I especially like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that photo of the psychdelic Opera House. We dedcided it was too cold and wet to go so thanks for sharing your photos to inspire us for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning photos! What a difference a tripod (and an eye for a clever composition) makes! It was a wonderful light show, wasn't it, and I was glad we went before the rainy weather had set in.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to read my blog! Post your thoughts here:

Popular Posts