Sunday, April 10, 2011

Current Projects: Celtic Applique

Another current project! When i first started quilting, I bought a LOT of books, including this one. It was at the time that all things Irish were cool, Riverdance was huge and on tour, and I got swept up in it all. So far I have cut all the pieces for the background (the patterned fabrics that sit behind the celtic lines), and I've also done ALL the bias bars for both the centre applique, and also the border.

Then I basted everything in place and have been stitching it down with a running stitch. But wait, what is that in the top right had corner? Just to the right of the golden loop...
ARGH! On pulling this out of the current projects box that it was residing in, I found a mystery splotch and I have no idea what it is. I really honestly don't know what it is or how it got there. I've tried removing it, but have had no luck so far. My plan is to finish the applique, and then wash the top to see if I can get it out that way (with some stain remover). If that doesn't work then I'm going to cut around the design and then applique it to a new background.
Laying the bias bars was interesting because they all over lap, and wind in and out of each other. It's one of the reasons why I basted everything in place, because I wasn't going to do that a second time!
What I have noticed about all my current projects is that each one of them has taught me a different technique, which makes sense because I'm self taught, so all these books have to serve a purpose!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I love Celtic bars! I have a Scarlett Rose book and have used several of her designs in projects. I haven't done bars for several years though. Those knots are wonderful, especially when they're filled with fabric. It's a lovely piece. I hope the spot comes out. Perhaps laying it in the sun, to bleach a bit...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming to read my blog! Post your thoughts here:

Popular Posts